Saint Barnabas has acquired the historic Offutt-Yost house at North 39th and Davenport Streets (immediately adjacent to the church and to the Joslyn Castle) as a home for its expanding ministries in Midtown Omaha.
The 1894, 6000-square-foot Renaissance Revival or “Chateauesque” building will serve as the church’s Parish House and Rectory as of January 1, 2019, and includes public rooms and residences for the pastor and pastoral staff. As a hub for Saint Barnabas’ apostolic work in building Catholic culture and in evangelization, the parish house will provide much-needed space for educational, devotional, outreach, fellowship, and administrative activities. These include the parish’s thriving high school, Saint Barnabas Classical Academy, as well as major events planned to celebrate the church’s 150th anniversary in 2019.
Saint Barnabas is a parish of the Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter, a diocese-like jurisdiction established by Pope Benedict XVI for North America in 2012 for former Anglicans entering into the full communion of the Roman Catholic Church. (There are also ordinariates in Great Britain and Australia.) Founded in 1869 as an Episcopal church, the parish entered the Catholic Church in 2013. A major restoration of the church interior and consecration of the 1915 building took place in 2017, following the installation of an important Casavant organ in 2016. Currently, a major nine-month project of renovation and reconstruction of the church hall, kitchen, and sacristies, including the addition of new HVAC, elevator, restrooms, and parking lot is slated to be unveiled in Spring 2019.
The Offutt house has most recently operated as the Cornerstone Mansion Bed and Breakfast. It was the lifelong home of Lieutenant Jarvis Offutt, the first Nebraska pilot to die in World War One, and for whom Offutt Air Force Base is named.
The pastor, Father Jason Catania, remarked at the real estate closing, “Saint Barnabas’ new parish house allows us to create a true campus where we can nurture our parish families and young adults in the Catholic faith, and from which to proclaim that faith to our neighborhood and beyond. As we begin celebrating our 150th year in Omaha, this beautiful building will help equip our congregation for its next 150 years of mission and ministry.”