Windows of St. Barnabas Church
The following description of the windows in Saint Barnabas Church is taken from a study written in 1983 by the late Father T. Raynor Morton, SSC, XII Rector of Saint Barnabas Church. It has been edited and expanded by Mr. L. J. Crouse.
The larger stained glass windows in the Nave and in the Lady Chapel were made by the Charles E. Kempe & Company Studios in London, England. This information comes from a Mrs. Richardson who has been researching the location and condition of the Kempe windows in the United States. The Kempe firm dominated the stained glass world for four decades in England and North America. There were literally thousands of these windows made and installed. Many of them are found in the world's most famous churches and cathedrals. At the present time valuable records of the C.E. Kempe firm are to be found n the Victoria & Albert Museum, London. Under Mr. Kempe the "wheatsheaf" was used as the trademark of the Kempe Company. But following the death of Mr. Kempe in 1907, the company was inherited by a cousin named Mr. Tower. Thereafter, a "tower" motif was added to the "wheatsheaf". These trademarks aid in identifying the windows at Saint Barnabas as Kempe stained glass. Usually the motifs are to be found near the bottom, low on the glass on the left side and placed in an inconspicuous area. Look for this trademark on each window. All but one of our windows show the "wheatsheaf" and "tower".
The tour of our windows starts in the Lady Chapel with the beginning of Christ's Life.